Wednesday, February 07, 2007

US immigration officer – a girl’s best friend…

“Then you are not only beautiful, you must also be brilliant”

Before saying that there was a “I thought you were a dancer or an artist, yes, something related to the arts” in response to my mechanical delivery of my job title (yes, I have it down, the drill that is, I know it well, left index finger on the glass window, then right, then smile or frown for the camera (which reminds me, I need to buy a camera for the laptop), I answer their questions on cue, well trained, though slightly flustered, ready for the worst; I made a “note to self” - looks like answering too fast can be a bad thing). Anyhow, I thanked him (rather politely, lady-like, but truly amused and, yes, yes, slightly happy that I don’t have a hopeless “geek” taped on my forehead), thinking, ok, now comes the dreaded question about “what exactly do you do” that invariably draws a less lightning-bolt type of answer. But no, after that came the above mentioned declaration (yes Alex, wherever you are, that was a “declaration”) and I loved it. At that point I should have thanked him profusely because, strangely enough (or maybe not), no one has ever said that to me, I mean the beautiful plus the brilliant hypothesis together, in such a direct way. Now isn’t that silly? Silly because it made me giggle afterwards, like a kid. I just said “thank you, you are very kind”. Kind? Kind??? Oh, for crying out loud! Now, I know exactly what I was wearing, from clothes to shoes to jewelry to hair accessories (underwear I can’t remember but it shouldn’t matter - he couldn’t see it anyway) but I have to admit that it might have been the rested face, the slight tan and the “sun perfume” that did it. Darn, I’ll never hear it again!


Pois, o post esta em Ingles, so porque me comecou a sair assim...voltarei ao portugues ja de seguida. Esta e a excepcao...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home